Flow Measurement of River Ganga
Study Area - Kaudiyala to Bithur
Scope of Work
1. The one time velocity observation of the river at four points has been carried out using high precision current meter.
2. Measurement of depth at all velocity measurement locations
3. Measurement of width of the river at the cross section of the measurement
4. Calculate discharge at the surveyed cross sections
5. Identify the nature of substratum in terms of bed material
The objective was to measure one time velocity, stage, discharge at along one of the surveyed cross section at each of the four locations using high precision current meter. Accordingly flow measurements of Ganga river at four locations from Kaudiyala to Bithur were carried out. Details of locations where flow observations were made are given below.
Flow measurements were carried out using current meter with velocity indicator (Standard size, propeller type, 10 kg fish weight, Make â€“ Virtual Electronics, Roorkee). The current meter was calibrated using standard reference provided by Virtual Electronics. Water depth measurement was done using with wading rod of 5 m length. The width of flowing water in the river was measured using scaled rope. Garmin Make GPS 12 was used for location identification. Locally available boat and raft was used to carry out the survey. Nature of substratum was also noted during the survey, wherever feasible.
Due to practical difficulties in keeping the boat steady exactly at same location in the river during observations, limited observations on vertical profile of velocity in different segments of river were possible.
The images of surveyed cross sections are given in Figures 1, 2 3, and 4